Success with smart and efficient building technologies
Deutsche Post DHL occupies approximately 12,000 sites. Around 5% of these sites are owned by the Group; the remaining 95% are leased. The facilities span a wide range of building types and usage – from office buildings, mail and parcel centers, to logistics warehouses. Given the diversity of these facilities, it is challenging to apply standardized processes for collecting data on energy use and emissions. One way we help ensure the accuracy of our consumption data is through the use of intelligent metering systems.
The individual requirements of our buildings and facilities demand an equally diverse range of energy efficiency and emissions-reducing measures. When developing these measures, we perform a detailed analysis of all relevant options for efficiency enhancement – from heating, air-conditioning and insulation, to lighting and photovoltaic installations.
In 2013 we enhanced the Group-wide energy efficiency standards for newly constructed, newly leased and renovated buildings. The standards address areas such as design and building materials as well as the equipment we install.
As an example, we have defined specifications for the installation of energy-saving, eco-friendly LED and T5 lighting. To maximize energy-saving measures in lighting we include the use of intelligent control technologies, sensors and dimmers, as well as a campaign to promote energy-conservation awareness among our employees.
In 2013, we were able to lower the absolute greenhouse gas emissions of our buildings and facilities by 6% compared to the previous year. This was a result of our increased use of electricity from renewable energy sources. The underlying energy consumption has risen in absolute terms, due in part to the growth in size of our portfolio and to the increased volumes that have passed through our buildings. Our Group-wide consumption data also includes the electricity used to charge our electric vehicles.